Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Te doy Gloria!


About 6 months ago I was blessed with the opportunity of meeting my sweet little boy Kendall.Kendall is an adorable, tough, little 4 year old who lives in Verbena one of the poorest most dangerous barrios we work in. He is incredibly active  and always wears a face of determination and a some what angry looking smile. I love this boy with all my heart.

Every Saturday, at our mobile feeding center, I get to hold him, give him piggy back rides on my shoulders and spin him around and every week I ask him "Kendall, am I your friend?" and in his cute little 4 year old voices he answers me and he always tells me "nope". That's ok, He is my friend and I appreciate his honesty.


A little background on Kendall's family. I haven't heard or seen of a father figure around  so most likely there isn't one. He lives with is mother Blanca, his sister Hazel and his baby brother Gabriel. One of the reasons he is so tough is because of his mother. Blanca is an incredibly strong, independent, woman who only ever speaks at one volume and that is loud. She is constantly yelling at the kids telling them to get out of the way or to get in line or to go watch your brother.

This past Saturday we took 6 suitcases of shoes to pass out in Verbena and Blanca helped us maintain order and to make sure people weren't cutting in line or taking more than one pair. We invited her and her family to come to church and the next day there they were walking in the door for the first time. I was so excited to see my boy in church! I picked him up and held him in my arms as I worshiped. The worship band was was singing a song we sing ever week which says "Te doy gloria, a ti Jesus" which means I give glory to you Jesus!

As I was singing these words I remember thinking "God, thank you for bringing them to church and I hope that Kendall gets to grow up here and that you will be glorified through him..." As I am thinking and praying this for him he starts to fidget as any little 4 year old would do. So I set him down and he takes off for the door of the church. I turn and see my dad stop him and turn him around and I go back to worshiping.

Four times Kendall tried to escape the church. Three times my dad was able to stop him. B
ut on the forth time he successfully twisted and darted past my dad out the door and into the street where he was hit by a car going approximately 25mph. I heard my dad and the greeters yell so I quickly pushed my way out of the church to see Kendall lying in the street.

Just a few seconds behind me Blanca comes running for her baby boy. I have never heard a more terrifying sound than the sound of a mother screaming as she cries out to God to save her son.The congregation poured out of the church everyone praying and crying. Blanca knelt by Kendall and prayed some of the most beautiful prayers ever heard. "God, I know I'm a horrible person, but please don't punish my baby, dont punish him punish me..."


Kendall should have died. A maybe 30Lb 4 year old hit by a full sized car going 25mph should have been killed on impact. Not to mention being dragged a few feet as the driver desperately tried to stop the car. Thank God I am able to say Kendall is a living miracle. Thank God that as I write this blog I am getting ready to go visit him in the children's hospital instead of attending a child's funeral. I will never fully comprehend what God's plan or purpose is in all this. Or why it happened. But I do know my God is good, and he loves Kendall more than anyone else ever will. I promise you not a day will go by that Blanca does not thank God for the life of her son.


 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." 


On a finishing note today I am going to sit with Kendall in the hospital so his mom can go home a rest. I get to go because Kendall keeps asking to see "La muchaca con los ojos bonitos" or the girls with the pretty eyes. Even though he doesn't know my name, I think that's his way of saying we're friends :)
I feel blessed beyond belief!

To God be the glory forever,
- Alix





3 comments:

  1. Wow. With tears in my eyes, I'm rejoicing with you. ~ Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a future and a hope.....and it will be my prayer that this little guy will recognize the grace of God that allowed him to survive. I hear and see Jesus in you, Alix. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wOw!!! What a great story Alix. Prayers for Kendall and his family.

    I love to hear the great stories and awesome works God is doing through 6:8 ministries.

    ReplyDelete